Salt Lake School of the Prophets, 1867-1883
Devery S. Anderson, editor
Hardback / 600 pages / 978-1-56085-234-6 / $47.95 / February 2017
Ministerial training was an early goal of Mormonism. The priesthood-led institution called the School of the Prophets, established in Kirtland, Ohio, in 1833, was basically a divinity school for prospective missionaries. However, topics of study included, instead of prophecy and revelation, penmanship, English grammar, arithmetic, philosophy, literature, government, geography, and history. For seven weeks there was even a course in Hebrew, but it was discontinued. Still, it was in this setting that Joseph Smith received his revelation on diet and health and some of the spiritual manifestations associated with the Kirtland temple dedication. Brigham Young re-established the school in the Salt Lake Valley in 1867; his successor, John Taylor, resuscitated it for a while in 1883. Young’s emphasis was theology, first as an appendage to Deseret University, and then as a separate institution. Presented here for the first time are all available minutes for the Utah period.
Devery S. Anderson is the award-winning author of a serialized history of the Dialogue Foundation. He is the editor of a three-volume documentary history of LDS temple worship, and his book, Emmett Till: The Murder That Shocked the World and Propelled the Civil Rights Movement, is due out in August from University Press of Mississippi.